The New Jersey State Fair/Sussex County Farm & Horse Show is rounding out its 10-day run this weekend. Before the animals, crafts, rides, games and vendors pack up, saddle up and check out this summertime outing that still has a calendar full of great activities and events.
The Fair takes place at the Sussex County Fairgrounds in Augusta, which is about half an hour away from Denville, but so worth the adventure.
According to the Fair,
The six barns will be full of animals, the three rings will be showcasing horses, and there will be plenty for every member of the family to do. The RoNetco Supermarkets Family Entertainment area has K-9s in Flight, racing pigs, petting zoo, dinosaur fossils and a chainsaw artist. The Outdoor Entertainment Area features two demo derbies, a mudbog, tractor pulls and motocross. The Performing Arts Tent has free entertainment every day.
Our family has visited the Sussex County Fair a few times and it’s always a different experience every time. My guys love getting up close to the animals and especially getting a front row seat for the pig races. The pigs, ostrich, camel and horses have been a part of our fun summertime memories.
There’s so much to see and do at the fair. If you plan to go, it’s worth spending the day there—or at the very least, a couple of hours to explore the grounds, vendors, rides and animals.
Tips for Attending the New Jersey State Fair/Sussex County Farm & Horse Show
1. Comfortable shoes are a must when visiting the fair. There’s a lot of ground to cover, so make sure you’re comfy. Pro tip: if you’re planning on riding rides, wear sneakers or other closed-toe shoes. My son was turned away from some rides for wearing flip flops. And because most of the Fair is dirt and grass, if it’s rainy or wet, closed-toe shoes will be the way to go.
2. The Fair is somewhat accessible with paved roads and walkways. Some of the Fair is on rough terrain, but strollers and wagons can still be used. The kids will get tired, so if they still use a stroller or will sit in a wagon, consider bringing one.
3. There will be a lot to see, do, eat, buy and play. While there are ATMs all over, bring some cash to avoid the crazy fees. Bring your own bottles of water and don’t forget, parking is free!
4. If you can, try going to the Fair during the week, as the weekend can be crowded.
5. Have fun and take in the unique sights and activities firsthand!
2017 Regular Admission Tickets
Adults – $14
Child – $6
Seniors (60+) – $10
Military Veterans (with proper ID) – Free
The New Jersey State Fair/Sussex County Farm & Horse Show
37 Plains Rd.
Augusta, NJ 07834
The Fair is open 10 am – 10 pm Thursday – Saturday, August 12 and 10 am – 5 pm on Sunday, August 13.