Always on the lookout for a good sale, I think the Visiting Nurse Association’s biannual rummage sale in Far Hills is my new favorite. This year’s fall sale runs from October 6th-8th, and I was in line and ready to go when they opened the tents to sales first thing this morning!
This rummage sale is one of the best organized I’ve seen, with a great map and list of where to find what! Despite really long lines, the series of 20+ large tents/barns is strictly organized by type, with all items clearly marked and a good traffic flow from entrance to exit. Not interested in jewelry? Don’t go in the jewelry tent. Want to load up on quality brand name women’s wear? Jump in that line.
I got in the furniture tent first off and the good deals go fast! Exciting! The pricing seemed very fair overall, just a step above garage sale pricing but not so high you can’t find something you didn’t know you need until you saw it.
Chatting with people while standing in line, this sale is a must for people going off to college or starting a new household, collectors, bargain hunting DIYers and even one woman that did all her holiday gift shopping today! Though I didn’t go in the clothing or high end Bonton tent, the quality bargains fill in many a closet as well.
- Bring plenty of cash! Each tent does accept credit cards, but you can get through the exit faster with exact change.
- Carry large totes for all your goods. Some people park a wheeled cart at each tent, and they also have a cart rental to help you get your goods to your car (deposit $20 and get it back when you return the cart). I did notice that the plentiful volunteers are universally friendly and willing to hold your goods as well, but I like to transport my own stuff.
- Bring some patience: sometimes the lines do get long. However, I bought some wonderful things in each tent I entered!
- Have a strategy. I headed straight for the furniture first and all the really really good deals were gone within the first 20 minutes (!). The longest lines for opening day were the clothing and the furniture, while the home goods and holiday tents were packed a few hours later. If you know what you’re looking for just prioritize!
- Bring a good attitude and it’ll be awesome!
News from the volunteers is that it’s rain or shine, people are out for the deals. Sundays can be fun with great deals as well!
Here are the details:
Far Hills Fairgrounds
Intersection of U.S. 202 & Peapack Road (CR 512)
No entry fee and no parking fee, just get there early to get a spot!